10 exotic pets to keep at home
• In order to maintain their individuality, people use different ways, one of which is a pet. Agree, you won’t surprise anyone with a sphinx and small dogs, so some choose a pet among exotic animals that you can keep at home. A selfie with a lemur will definitely get more Instagram followers than a cat shot.
• If you are not afraid of the complexity of caring for an exotic friend, then we provide you with a selection of incredibly beautiful, photogenic and cutest exotic animals that you can have at home.
A unique animal with open eyes resembles an alien – by the way, the lemur in translation means "ghost" or "evil spirit". Once upon a time, the ancient Romans, having met with an animal, experienced great fear – hence the name.
• If you are looking for a quiet friend who does not require a lot of attention, then the lemur will definitely suit you. If you want to hand feed your pet, you can do it, but not right away. The animal needs time to get used to you.
Conditions of detention: the lemur loves to mark corners – you should prepare for this in advance and purchase products in the store that kill bad smells. The animal loves warmth, so drafts and cold should not be allowed in the apartment. The presence of a large terrarium (or a small enclosure) with branches will make the lemur very happy – he loves to climb them. The animal prefers to be active at night – it is at this time that it needs to be fed. In food, he prefers boiled rice and eggs, milk, soaked white bread. Never give up vegetables and fruits.
Is it possible to resist the charm of a red-haired beauty from fairy tales? In them, this animal is distinguished by wisdom, ingenuity and cunning. In nature, the fox uses its cunning for protection, because it often becomes the object of hunters because of the red fur.
• Remember: a domesticated fox is the one that was brought from the forest, and a domestic one is bred specifically for keeping in an apartment. Domesticated sooner or later will begin to ask for freedom and attack others, you don’t want this, do you? The fox is suitable for active people, because she herself is distinguished by playfulness and energy. Despite the good disposition and devotion, the fox remains independent, but you can make friends with her.
Conditions of detention: if you build a “den” for a red-haired beauty, she will be very grateful to you, because likes to hide. In addition, she needs to build an aviary on an unheated balcony. In order for the fox to feel good, it needs to be walked every day on a leash. When walking, you should watch what she takes from the ground, because this can be harmful to her health. Foxes are omnivorous animals, but their diet is dominated by meat.
Despite the difficulties of keeping a reptile at home, it is difficult to deny yourself the desire to "touch" the wild. For those who wish to have a reptile, a wide choice opens up. The most popular is the spotted zoublefar, which is sold in almost every pet store in the United States.
The Spotted Zublefar is considered an ideal pet for a beginner. The lizard is distinguished by its small size, relative friendliness and calm behavior. It is worth preparing in advance for the molting of the lizard – in the process they remove their skin from themselves, and then they eat it, like all representatives of the "scaly". During his life, the gecko does this so many times: young individuals molt once a week, and adults once every 3-4 weeks.
Conditions of detention: the lizard is easily tamed and requires a small terrarium for life (about 60 ml.), which must be illuminated with an ultraviolet lamp all the time. The reptile's diet includes: locusts, cockroaches, crickets, so nutrition should be taken care of first of all. Juveniles are usually fed with tweezers, while adults feed on their own.
7. Star turtle
The most beautiful of all turtle species, native to Sri Lanka and Hindustan, is quite possible to have at home. Its convex shell has yellow stripes, which is where such an interesting name comes from. This beauty has a kind nature and gets along well with other animals. If at first the turtle will hide from its owner under the shell, then after a couple of months, having got used to you, it will follow you with its tail.
Conditions of detention: for home keeping, it is better to purchase a terrarium, but a star-shaped (aka “Indian”) turtle can also be kept in a wooden box. Whatever housing you choose for her, it should be at least 100 cm long and 60 cm wide, and the acceptable air temperature should be 27-35 degrees. Be sure to install a UV lamp above the terrarium and always keep it clean if you don't want your pet to get sick. The star tortoise likes to drink fresh water, so it should be changed as often as possible. From food she loves to feast on vegetables and fruits, and she also needs to be given plants.
Fans of the exotic and everything unusual at least once, but thought about the idea of starting beautiful snake. Isn't it time to make your wishes come true? Certain species are suitable for keeping: Amur snake, imperial boa constrictor, royal python, royal snake – the rules for caring for them are practically the same. Before you make an extravagant friend, make sure that your family members do not mind it, otherwise they will be in for an unusual "surprise".
• The exotic domestic snake is cool and calm. When choosing a pet for yourself, you will probably pay attention to its appearance – mother nature endowed the skin of snakes with specific unusually beautiful patterns, so there is always a demand for these exotic animals.
Conditions of detention: most often, medium-sized snakes are kept in the apartment, so a terrarium is suitable for them: 80x60x60 cm, for large individuals, its dimensions, of course, increase. The terrarium is equipped with everything you need: a shallow pool, heating, stones, etc. Snake care is difficult – it is recommended to change the water every day and wash the "reservoir" from dirt, which not everyone can handle. The snake is a predator, its diet includes rats, grasshoppers, etc. At home, it can be accustomed to small pieces of beef or chicken.
Lately, sloths have been gaining more and more popularity. Why are they so attractive? Let's try to figure it out. Because Sloths sleep most of the time, so they require minimal care. It is noteworthy that sloths turn their heads 180 degrees – the owl can do the same.
Conditions of detention: cute animals love to eat the leaves and flowers of tropical trees, sometimes they are not averse to feasting on small insects. Most of all they like cherries and apples. If you are delighted with these passive introverts and have already “fired up” with the desire to make such a friend for yourself, take care of the temperature regime. Sloths need warmth and high humidity as they they are native to Central and South America. For maintenance, you will need an aviary where the animal can move along branches and vines. By the way, a sloth can sit or swing on a branch for hours, doing nothing. He even eats in this position!
An exotic animal from African countries has a peculiar character, but despite this, the animal is very attached to its owner. It is difficult to guess what will change the mood of the genet: either she will be happy to play with you, or, at best, she will not let you touch her ...
• At the same time, the genet outwardly resembles both a ferret and a cat. In her exterior, such excellent qualities as a fabulous appearance and graceful manners are very harmoniously combined. If you are a kinesthetic and like hugs, choose another animal, the genet does not like petting. It is believed that the nimble animal of the viverrid family is one of the most ancient animals. Although the first mention of the genet dates back to the era of Herodotus, it was first scientifically described only in 1758 by the Swedish scientist Carl Linnaeus.
Conditions of detention: the genet does not know how to coexist with other animals, so starting it together with someone else is a bad idea. To accustom the animal to the tray is a simple matter, because. genet is distinguished by cleanliness. The diet of a graceful beauty consists of lean meats, fish, and she will never give up fruits. According to the behavior of the gennett, it resembles a cat, she is comfortable in an ordinary apartment.
The plush animal looks very funny – the same can be said about his behavior. Chinchillas make many interesting sounds, they can: quack, growl, squeak and even chirp! And they are also able to jump to a height of up to 2 m. – an extraordinary sight. Chinchilla inhabits the territory of South America – because of their valuable plush fur, which began to be hunted back in the XNUMXth century, these cute animals were listed in the Red Book.
• Chinchilla is a wonderful exotic pet. If the animal is brought in when it is still 2-3 months old, then it will quickly get used to the new environment. The chinchilla prefers a nocturnal lifestyle – it starts running, making noise and jumping around 23:00, so be prepared to wake up in the middle of the night often.
Conditions of detention: take care of the right menu for your pet – chinchilla loves carrots, tomatoes, apples, currants, etc. – the list goes on for a long time. The animal will be very happy if you purchase running wheels for him (preferably made of natural wood), because. for chinchillas, this activity is a real pleasure. For a pet, it is appropriate to purchase a cage (sizes are taken into account depending on age) with metal bars, because. a wooden animal will quickly gnaw through. Important rule! Chinchillas cannot be bathed; special sand is intended for hygiene procedures.
Not everyone is familiar with such a representative of the fauna and flora as tamarin. This bright handsome native from South America can become part of your family. It is noteworthy that tamarin is included in the list of the smallest animals in the world. In addition to its non-standard appearance and size, the tamarin differs from other primates in its very soft and thick coat, the color of which can be very diverse.
Conditions of detention: Weighing up to 3 kg, tamarin is just perfect for keeping at home. Throughout the day, the tamarin (the second name is “marmoset”) can jump and run around the apartment, climb on you and on tables with pleasure, swing on the curtains ... When it's time for sleep, the tamarin retires to her aviary (which should be purchased for her). Everyone knows that the monkey is a very active animal, so if you plan to close it in the aviary every time it bothers you, give up such a friend. The animal needs freedom of action. Tamarin loves fruit and vegetable dishes for dinner – he gets vitamins from them. Are you ready to show your culinary skills by preparing vegetable salads for marmosets?
1. African hedgehog
When looking at a pet among exotic animals, it is very difficult not to pay attention to a tiny African hedgehog. A small thorn can give a lot of joy! The African (aka “pygmy”) hedgehog fits in the palm of your hand, at the moment this baby is popular in the USA, Japan, Europe, and the fashion for it is only growing.
• The weight of a hedgehog is only 500 g, and it reaches a length of 20 cm. Its needles are softer than those of forest species – this is undoubtedly a big plus. Living with pygmy hedgehogs is very comfortable: they show friendliness, become attached to the family and do not hibernate. At night, these cute babies do not cause inconvenience, because. their way of life differs from the life of wild individuals. Hedgehogs of this species are very fond of attention and care. With proper care, these babies can live 6-7 years.
Conditions of detention: pygmy hedgehogs have been selectively bred to be kept in the home, so they should not be released into the wild. A large cage is suitable for hedgehogs: 50x100 cm with a wheel installed in it – these animals love to run very much. It is forbidden to feed a hedgehog with dairy products, usually they are given lean meat, offal, sometimes fruits and vegetables. These animals also love to eat quail eggs. Toilet training a hedgehog is a failing task, as they “do their thing” right on the go.