Named the best video game of all time and it's not GTA
• One of the largest gaming portals in the world – IGN – held a master class in interacting with its audience, using the "Best Video Game of All Time" poll.
• In this roundup, I'll talk about the contenders and the winner of the poll, and why IGN's event is out of the ordinary.
Good games that didn't make it to the voting list or quickly dropped out of it
- Halo 3 and Halo: CE were delisted in favor of Halo 2.
- The Last of Us was included, but The Last of Us Part 2 was not, despite winning more Game of the Year awards than any other game in history.
- Red Dead Redemption was on the list, but Red Dead Redemption 2 was not.
• It's worth noting that IGN polled fans, not critics or editors of gaming sites (although the games were originally selected by IGN journalists). So the poll results are, let's say, a bit biased, especially when it comes to novelty.
• This seems to be the reason why games like Half Life 2 and Super Mario World/64 didn't make it to the finals – many of the people voting in this poll may not even have been born at the time these games came out. For example, Rise of the Tomb Raider beat Half-Life 2 in the very first round. And Batman: Arkham City took out Super Mario 64, Pokémon Yellow, and Dark Souls to make it to the semi-finals. Batman was then pushed aside by the runner-up Grand Theft Auto V.
How was the vote for the best video game of all time
• The ranking included 64 video games, and the popular vote was conducted on the site IGN.com, as well as on YouTube, Twitter and Instagram.
• Initially, all 64 games were divided into four randomly selected groups. For example, Resident Evil 4 was shuffled into the deck with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and The Last of Us with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. And then the favorites were chosen in these groups. The list included games of all platforms and generations.
• According to IGN, a total of 26 people participated in the survey. The best game of all time was voted by 604% of Twitter users, 825% of the 63,2 YouTube users and 63% of Instagram followers.
• Here's what the eight games looked like, which claimed the first place.
- GTA: San Andreas.
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
- God of War (2018).
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
- GTA V.
- Batman: Arkham City.
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Winner of the best games in history according to IGN
• And…drumroll… Kratos, the protagonist of God of War, the Playstation 4 game, burst onto the top of the mountain. The winner surpassed Grand Theft Auto V by more than 100 votes. And this is surprising, considering that GTA000 is in the top 5 best-selling games of our time. On the other hand, the hype around the upcoming Ragnarok played into the hands of God of War.
• I must say that the vanquished resisted desperately – an attempt was even made to attack the IGN website by bots, but it was successfully repulsed.
• The 2018 reboot of the long-running franchise took Kratos from Greek mythology to the snowy backdrop of Norse gods and monsters. And this teleportation turned out to be successful: critics declared (if not out loud, but with the help of ratings) that God of War is their favorite game in the history of PS4. She scored 95 on OpenCritic and 94 on Metacritic.
“I said “wow” out loud and gasped at the beauty of God of War, — wrote Jonathan Dornbush, one of the authors of IGN.
• The plot of the latter game also pleased critics, as the introduction of Atreus added versatility to the already controversial character of Kratos.
• Another key to the game's popularity is its emotional resonance – and no wonder, as game director and writer Corey Barlog has revealed that God of War is based on his own experiences as a father.
“I had the idea that we should not have children until my career was at the right point, until we had a house, until we had at least the nth amount of savings,” – he said.
“None of this came true. It just happened. You cannot plan for such things. Kratos also thinks he knows what he wants, but isn't quite sure how. He is someone who could take down a beast the size of a mountain, but talking to his son is a challenge he just can't overcome. What we take for granted is for him a Herculean (deed).” Barlog added.
• However, not everyone agreed with the voting results. Some players were indignant that really cool games like Ghost of Tsushima did not even make it to the top, while others were offended that their favorite did not make it to the first line.
• However, there were those who reminded that this is just a poll, and not the end of the world. And if the result does not suit you, you can complain to Kratos himself.