10 oldest women who have become mothers
• In recent years, the average age of women in childbirth has been steadily increasing. And if earlier women who decided to get pregnant for the first time after 25 years old, or give birth to a second and subsequent child after 30 years old, were called the offensive word “old-bearing”, now 35-40-year-old mothers are not uncommon.
But there are women in the world who want to experience the joy of motherhood even in old age. And modern methods of infertility treatment allow them to do this. We present to you top 10 oldest women who have become mothers.
10. Annegret Raunig
- Age at birth: 65 years old
- Date of birth of the child: May 2015
• The German phenomenon is the oldest woman to give birth to quadruplets – three boys and a girl. Raunig became a mother not for the first time, before that she had already given birth to 13 children (from five different fathers), and with quadruplets, the total number of her children increased to 17 people.
• German doctors refused to perform IVF for Raunig because they feared that her body would not be able to withstand the stress of having children. Then the woman went to Ukraine and did IVF there.
• Annegret was criticized by both doctors and ordinary people, she was accused of selfishness and even insanity. However, Raunig is not upset and says that everyone "should live the way he wants."
• The eldest daughter Annegret is already 44 years old, and she helps her mother with the kids.
9. Elizabeth Adeni
- Age at birth: 66 years old
- Date of birth of the child: May 28, 2009
• The oldest mother in the UK, like Annegren Raunig, used the help of Ukrainian doctors to fulfill her dream of a child. She underwent an independent IVF course, since British clinics do not perform this procedure on women over 50 years old.
• Elizabeth is quite wealthy and has been able to hire a nanny to look after her son while Adeni manages Delmore Ltd, a plastics and textiles company.
8. Bhateri Devi Singh
- Age at birth: 66 years old
- Date of birth of the child: June 2010
• An elderly Indian woman gave birth to triplets after her third IVF cycle at the National Fertility Center in Haryana. Delivery was by caesarean section.
• During two previous IVF attempts, Bhateri Devi had only transferred two embryos. The third time, the doctors implanted three embryos, and this attempt was successful.
• Bhateri Devi tried to get pregnant naturally for a long time, but for 40 years she and her husband did not have heirs. After the birth of the triplets, Devi's husband said he was thrilled to be a father for the first time.
7. Adriana Iliescu
- Age at birth: 66 years, 7 months, 16 days
- Date of birth of the child: January 16, 2005
• In 2005, Adriana Iliescu was recognized as the oldest mother in the world (now this title has passed to another woman). She successfully gave birth to a daughter by caesarean section after nine years of fertility treatment. Iliescu told reporters that she had always wanted to experience the joys of motherhood, but could not conceive naturally.
• By the way, Adriana Iliescu is a retired university professor and the author of many children's books. And she took care of the future of her daughter immediately after her birth. Iliescu entered into an agreement with a doctor who performed the IVF procedure and became the godfather of the girl. In the event of the death of her mother, the doctor will take care of Eliza until she comes of age.
• Now the girl leads the life of an ordinary teenager, and received several certificates and diplomas at the Olympiads. Adriana feels great and hopes to see her daughter come of age.
6. Maria del Carmen Busada de Lara
- Age at birth: 66 years, 11 months, 24 days
- Date of birth of the child: December 29, 2006
• Perhaps the most controversial mother on this list. She admitted that she lied to doctors about her age in order to be treated for infertility at a private clinic in Los Angeles. In the “age” column, the woman wrote 55 years instead of the real 66 years.
• After the birth of twin sons, the elderly woman in labor defended her decision, saying: "I wanted to be a mother all my life, but I never had the opportunity, and I did not meet the right man."
• The Busada de Lara family called her decision "selfish and irresponsible", adding that her children would most likely be orphaned. About a year after giving birth, the woman was diagnosed with stomach cancer, and her family's predictions, unfortunately, came true. Busada de Lara died on July 11, 2009. After her death, the twins were placed in the care of Busad de Lara's nephew and his wife.
5. Margaret Adenuga
- Age at birth: 68 years old
- Date of birth of the child: April 19, 2020
• More recently, in April, Margaret Adenuga from Nigeria became one of the oldest moms in the world, giving birth to twins at 68. Before this happened, she underwent several IVF courses, which were unsuccessful.
• Adenuga's pregnancy and the birth of her twins proceeded without any serious complications, and the babies were full-term.
• “I am a dreamer, and I was sure that our dream would come true,” said the happy father of the family, Noah Adenuga, who is already 77 years old
4. Omkari Panwar
- Age at birth: 70 years old
- Date of birth of the child: June 27, 2008
• Omkari Panwar is another elderly mother from India who gave birth to twins in 2008 at the age of 70. She was determined to have a son as she and her husband, Charan Singh, already had two adult daughters.
• Due to her advanced age, Panwar had to undergo an $8100 IVF course, which her husband paid for by selling his buffaloes, mortgaging the land, spending his savings and taking out a bank loan.
• Babies – a boy and a girl – were born prematurely, each weighing about 1 kg. Because of this, they had to spend a long time in the hospital.
• When Omkari Panwar was told that she was now the oldest mother in the world, she replied, “It means nothing to me. I just want to see my newborn babies and take care of them while I still can."
• The latest information about the Panwar family dates back to 2014. By that time, the girl had died due to improperly prescribed treatment (according to her mother), and the boy grew and developed safely, like all children.
3. Rajo Devi Lohan
- Age at birth: 70 years old
- Date of birth of the child: November 2008
• In 2008, Indian Rajo Devi Lohan gave birth to a daughter at the age of 70. At that time, she was considered the oldest woman in labor in the world, having managed to carry a child after an IVF procedure.
• In 2013, the Daily Mail interviewed Lohan, who said that having a daughter made her stronger and that this child named Naveen was the "only reason" Lohan didn't die. And even when Naveen's parents go to another world, the girl will not have to walk around the yards with an outstretched palm. She has many relatives who will take the child under their care.
2. Daljinder Kaur
- Age at birth: 72 years
- Date of birth of the child: April 19, 2016
• A boy named Armand (translated from Hindi – "desire") became the first child of 72-year-old Indian Kaur and her 79-year-old husband Mohinder Singh Gill. After almost five decades of marriage, Kaur was finally able to conceive a child thanks to long-term IVF treatment.
• Although Kaur told doctors she was 70 years old, she was actually 72 years old – many people in India don't know their exact age because they don't have a birth certificate.
• Dr. Anurag Bishnoy, the doctor who treated Kaur for infertility, was criticized by other doctors and reproductive system experts for performing IVF treatment on a woman of such advanced age. These critics fear that Kaur's success will raise unrealistic expectations for other older ladies hoping to have children.
1. Mangayamma Yaramati
- Age at birth: 74 years
- Date of birth of the child: September 5, 2019
• The oldest woman to become a mother gave birth to twin girls only through lengthy IVF procedures.
• Because Yaramachi had already gone through menopause, she and her 82-year-old husband, Sitarama Rajarao, used a donor egg fertilized with Rajarao's sperm and implanted by Yaramachi. Fortunately, Yaramachi's pregnancy proceeded smoothly and without complications. The birth was carried out by caesarean section, and the babies were born healthy.